Monday, August 30, 2010

Introductory Post


Thoughts on the "That's Online Writing..." Article

What really stuck out for me in the article is the knee-jerk reaction of the administration to the child posting about his home location.  What a great learning opportunity that could have been!  Instead, the students didn't learn anything about a very important topic--online safety.  There are technological solutions that would have made the blogs private to the participants, meaning that the blogging could continue but a predator would not have been able to read them.

I was impressed that the teacher was willing to include an adult from outside the classroom, in this case a soldier.  Even though he was a parent of one of the students, not every teacher is willing to open up teaching processes to outsiders, who might not understand.  I do wonder if the teacher would have been willing to open the blogs up to all the parents of the participating children.

Me, the Occasional Blogger

I have had a blog for several years, mostly as a sort of journal for myself. Unfortunately, several people "followed" me (it didn't occur to me to make it a private blog) and now when I post I feel as though I have to write for an audience.  My blog was originally created as a way for me to keep a record of lesson plans, preschool activities, and resources I didn't want to lose.  It was a searchable resource for things I wanted to track to reuse in the classroom later.  Now that I've gone back to school I'm only updating my blog sporadically as I catch up on my backlog of activities.  Soon, I won't really have new material for the preschool set and I'll probably end that blog and start something new.  As the blog wasn't really about ME but rather about a topic I feel it makes more sense to abandon it.

Me, the Creative Writer

I hate to admit it, but I have always hated creative writing in school.  I don't feel that I'm very good at it and I feel a little lost in how to work with children on their creative writing.

2 comments:

  1. When you wrote that you felt like you were writing for an audience everytime you blogged, a think that is a reason of why many people get a thrill from posting. We (children, teen,adults) LOVE talking about ourselves or sharing ideas! Students would esepcially enjoy writing if they knew someone would be reading and responding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love the idea that by just changing the format that we may entice children to participate who might not otherwise be motivated to do so. It's like saying you can sing the answer instead of saying it.... I also like the idea of having a forum that students feel is less formal.
    What a wealth of info youcan share with us about confidentiality and such. Thanks,
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete