Saturday, October 2, 2010

Readings for 10/4

By the time I'm writing this about a third of the cohort has already posted, so I think we've covered the Hale chapters pretty well. I got as much out of these chapters as I did the previous three. This book makes me want to try everything.

I'd like to focus on Karen's article. As someone who feels connected to multiple ways of looking at young children's writing, I felt a bit angry at how the teacher felt forced to do things against her personal philosophy because that's what the people above wanted. I am reminded of the Teacher Town Hall on MSNBC last weekend when several teachers were grateful that teachers had even been asked to join the conversation. It seems to me that while it may be up to governments and administrators to determine what gets taught, teachers need to have some input on the how and when based on what researches have found out.

Karen's article surprised me in my own response a bit. For example, I didn't realize how strongly I felt about teaching children when they are mentally and physically ready to learn until I read about Ashley. There are still some countries that test children for school readiness by having them copy an adult do a specific motion that crosses the midline. The motion varies slightly depending on the culture, but children who cannot do it wait until they can do it and children who can go to school. I can demonstrate for anyone who's curious the next time we're together. It's very interesting, and studies seem to indicate that this simple test is a pretty good indicator of readiness for school for a variety of reasons. I don't want anyone to take this to mean that kids who aren't ready in those ways aren't teachable. What I think is that it means they need more exposure and time to play with literacy in a less formal way than what many schools in this country provide.

But I think I'm a bit of a mishmash when it comes to the various discourses. Following the chart on page 342, I'm probably least in line with the "Skills and Mastery" discourse, at least for young children. Giving kids lots of exposure to lots of different kinds of literacy when they are very young is still, I'm convinced, the way to go. I may have posted this before, but for anyone interested in a parent-friendly discussion on getting children ready to read, I highly recommend Mem Fox's Reading Magic. Sadly, the book's been overhyped in a bad way and Mem herself would be the first to tell you she doesn't like some of the "magical" claims that have been made about her book. But it's a quick read and worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Patti,

    I was also turned off by the fact that some teachers felt the their supervisors and people higher up in the faculty made them feel forced to teach things against their personal will. I don't even know if that happened to me what I would do. I would want to say no, but not want to loose my job. I bet lots of teachers struggle with when they should open their mouths about all kinds of things the faculty imposes on them. It's definitely a fear I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard to see that one of the reasons that I left social work is still alive and well in teaching too! I was sick of working with kids and seeing them making progress and working hard but being told by the state that they weren't making "enough" progress. Or the worst, being threatened by Mental Hospital placement as a way to "shape them up". I went into social work with idealism dripping off my coat sleeves but left feeling beaten down by a system that paid more attention to "benchmarks" than they did the kid.
    Patti, your response made me think... how much can a teacher protect their students? As a parent or a teacher how much can we fight for our students with out risking our jobs or being labeled as "one of those parents"?
    I'm with you, Skills Mastery is probably my least favorite, but probably the most supported by "the state". URG how is it the one most affected by the policies are the ones least able to affect the policies?! Perhaps if we started using the social practices and sociopolitical method the next generation would "get it"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I'm not sure how we can "protect" our students, but I do believe we have to start standing up for ourselves. If we don't make up a formal approach for assessing students, someone else will do it for us. Sadly, I don't think the unions are helping us here and it might be time for a big change somewhere. I'm not sure where, but if we don't start making noise we won't get into the party.

    ReplyDelete