Friday, October 8, 2010

Spelling

Lynne and I are working on spelling (aka "Grappling with Spelling Instruction") for our MGRP.  We're still grappling.  So far, it's been pretty interesting, but it's a little frustrating that there aren't any answers.  If anyone's got data on what spelling methods are best, we haven't found it.  We have found some interesting and useful tidbits, though.  I'm going to keep them secret so you can't sleep when we share with the class after the papers all get turned in.  Because you all care about spelling, don't you?  I thought so!

5 comments:

  1. Of course we care about spelling! I do at least. I'm not sure what the answers are to enhancing spelling instruction in today's schools, but it is something that I believe needs to be addressed. I'll be interested in seeing what you guys find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you find in your research. I am all for enhancing student's creativity with their writing but I also feel that at some point we need to encourage correct spelling. Last week I heard a college student ask how to spell "creative." The friend I was with made a comment that we are raising a nation that cannot spell or make change for $20 bills. The modern way of spelling tests are not helping our students - they are great for enhancing their memorization skills but not for retaining long term spelling techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, the good news is that spelling tests don't work! Now we can move on to things that DO work, safe in the knowledge that we aren't actually giving anything up. Nifty, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've picked quite the controversial topic there, ladies! Can't wait to hear about your findings, now that you've built up such suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a student, I never really minded having weekly spelling tests; in fact, I borderline enjoyed them. However, I realize that this is not the case for everyone. I wonder if there is a link between ceratin personalities and the preferred method of learning spelling.

    I can't wait to learn about what you discover!

    ReplyDelete