Thursday, October 28, 2010

Readings for 11/1

MGRP

Chapters 5 & 7 in Allen's book cover both how to make writing come alive and some examples of how to use the arts for a multi-genre research paper.  While I appreciated the tips in the writing chapter, there are probably many more books available with even more information.  I did like that the author did a rewrite for her students so they could see the process.  So often we only show children the steps to the final product but not the process, with all its bumps and decisions.  I certainly see myself encouraging students to include the arts, but I'm not sure how to incorporate them into my own MGRP.  Lynne has ideas simply flowing out of her.  It will be a bit of a challenge for me, I'm afraid.

Seedfolks

I've already read this book twice, so I confess to skimming.  If I end up with a little spare time before class on Monday I'll do a more detailed rereading.  The first time I read it I remember thinking that I would have preferred someone warn me about the organization of the book.  I went in looking for a full narrative that would bring in all the voices in some big, final ending.  I had to reread the book with an adjusted perspective in order to really enjoy it.  This book is more a collection of vignettes about the same space.  There is some small narrative movement that gathers steam at the end, but by that point in the book I almost wanted time to slow way down so I could live with the characters through the whole growing season.

3 comments:

  1. Patti, I agree with you about understanding the concept of including the arts in a MGRP, but sometimes it is difficult to think of ones for your own MGRP. I have been trying to brain storm ideas for my different genres, and I often struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you read my blog, I talk about how doing artsy stuff can be a bigger challenge and distracts students from learning what they meant to research.

    I mean, my folks worked full-time and came from an entirely different cultural background, there was no way that they were able to give me ideas, time, or resources to help me sew costumes and/or design booths!

    Ironically, I am loving all the creative options I can do for my projects at the school of ed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true! When I was a student, my teachers were always excited to show examples of the final product, but modeling the process was not shown nearly as often. Perhaps, this was because it takes too much time?

    ReplyDelete